Borneo's luscious rainforests provide the perfect home for over 1,400 different species of animal, and well over 10,000 species of plant, meaning the biodiversity found on the world’s 3rd largest island is second to none. Some of the animals which call Borneo home include:
Borneo is home to a phenomenal array of wildlife, and with a new species of mammal being discovered as recently as 2012, who knows what you could see on this island paradise? Visit one of Borneo's animal sanctuaries to make a real difference to the lives of some of the region's most vulnerable inhabitants.
Bornean culture is varied and has undergone a variety of influence over the years. The island is split between different ethnic groups, but the largest percentage of these is the Malay. That said, it is Borneo's indigenous tribes that are most famous in the region. The dominant tribal groups are the Dayak, and they reside in traditional longhouses. The Dayaks are either classified as the Ibans (Sea Dayaks,) or the Bidayuh (Land Dayaks). Visit Borneo and you could be immersed in:
- The tribal villages of the Iban, seeing the collection of skulls they have from their headhunting past.
- The huge variety of foods on the island
- The human history of the region, with human remains found dating back 35,000 years and various cave paintings created in around 8000bc
Borneo’s history and culture is fascinating to say the least, so why not spend some time learning from those that know it best? By volunteering on one of our projects, you may have the opportunity to live alongside the locals - a rare experience to cherish forever.
Borneo’s premier attraction for most is the abundance of wildlife on the island, but there is so much more to offer the intrepid traveller. Some of the amazing places you can visit in Borneo are:
- The Mulu National Park – home to the largest cave passage in the world and some unique, spectacular scenery
- Kota Kinabalu – not only is this the location of the 4,095m tall Mount Kinabalu, but it is also home to some of the clearest waters in the world. Perfect for diving!
- Kuching – a vibrant and busy city, bustling with restaurants, beaches, and history for you to explore.
A holiday to Borneo is something that everybody should try to experience at least once in their lifetime. This incredible island is one of the most interesting places in the world to visit, so start planning your dream adventure today!