Gorilla Tours

You can have the unique experience of a gorilla tour in the stunning country of Uganda by volunteering with The Great Projects. On our exclusive gorilla project, you can trek through Uganda’s lush jungle on a fascinating guided gorilla tour where you will witness the stunning great apes in their natural habitat.

Gorilla conservation tours enable tourists to have the pleasure of witnessing troops of mountain gorillas in a responsible manner, and as part of your trip, you will help to educate the local community on how they can help preserve these primates too. Habitat loss and human-animal conflict are just some of the daily pressures that gorillas face, and by taking part in an eco-friendly gorilla trekking tour, you will contribute to the efforts which are actively trying to reduce this.

During your trip, your guide will impart a great deal of knowledge to you about these phenomenal creatures, as well as the various plant species which can be found within gorilla habitat. This excellent gorilla tour cannot be replicated anywhere else in the world! Take the trip of a lifetime and experience vast African landscapes like nothing you’ve ever seen before. Take part in a gorilla tour!

Projects Do More

Gorillas At A Glance

Critically Endangered
100,000 In Total

How Endangered Are Gorillas

All 4 species of gorilla are critically endangered as stated by WWF. There are just 200-300 Cross-River gorillas which remain, making this species of gorilla the most endangered of them all.

It is estimated that there are around just 880 Mountain gorillas alive today, which is a slight improvement from numbers of around 620 individuals in 1989.

Exact populations of both the Eastern and Western lowland gorillas are unknown as violence and civil unrest in areas has made calculating accurate populations impossible. However, scientists have estimated that there has been a seriously worrying decline of roughly 50% in the population of these species since the mid-1990s.

Taking part in a gorilla tour will contribute to efforts which are trying to aid gorilla conservation, which, from the evidence stated above, are desperately needed. Responsible gorilla tours aid the protection of gorilla habitat, and with us, you can help the community find sustainable ways to live within it too. 

Threats Gorillas Are Facing

Gorillas are faced with many threats on a daily basis that place their future in jeopardy. Many are the result of human interference, and some of these include:

  • Disease – gorillas are highly susceptible to human diseases due to such a closeness in DNA code. These can range from Ebola and Scabies to TB and more, which are transmitted through contact with humans or when gorillas raid villages in search of food.
  • Habitat Loss – just 17% of gorilla populations reside in protected regions, but the remaining 83% are vulnerable to logging companies who clear forest for the timber trade, communities who make way for farming settlements, and when oil and gas companies invade gorilla territory.
  • Weak Law Enforcement – hunting gorillas for bushmeat has increased over the years. Despite gorilla hunting being illegal across the gorilla’s range, hunters, poachers and consumers are rarely apprehended by law enforcement and continue to practise this awful trade.
Fast Facts
  • The nose print of a gorilla is as unique to them as a fingerprint is to humans. As such, individual gorillas can be identified in this way.
  • In 2011, a study showed that gorillas use a form of ‘motherese’ language to communicate with infants in the troop. The study showed that gorillas who were older than 3 years of age communicated with infants differently to adults. The ‘motherese’ speak was non-vocal gestures such as stroking their jaws, and it was discovered that older gorillas would repeat these gestures more with babies than older members of the troop.
  • Gorillas reproduce every four to six years and females will give birth just three to four times in their lifetime. This is considered a low reproduction rate and it makes it difficult for gorillas to come back from an issue which causes a decline in the population such as disease.
Where you can go
Contact Info
UK Office
The Great Traveller Ltd,
3 Dairy Yard
Star Street
Ware, Hertfordshire
SG12 7DX
United Kingdom

Opening hours:
   Mon-Fri 8:30am–5:30pm
   Sat 10am-4pm

T: +44(0) 208 885 4987