Gorilla Holidays

Have you ever wanted to witness gorillas in their natural environment? If so, you should definitely consider jetting off on a gorilla holiday with The Great Projects for your next adventure! Gorilla volunteer holidays are the best way to view gorillas responsibly in their indigenous habitat, and we offer this experience of a lifetime in the vast forests of Uganda.

You will trek through lush forests in search of these amazing creatures, and we are sure you will be surprised by their uncanny likeness to humans and fascinated by their interactions with each other. Using all that you learn during your guided gorilla treks, you will then help to educate local communities about how best to preserve these great apes.

Gorilla populations have suffered a decline in recent years, due to disease, hunting, conflict with humans and habitat loss. Action must be taken if we want to provide gorillas with a sustainable future for generations to come, and your participation on a gorilla conservation holiday will contribute to this through both monetary donations included in the price of your holiday, along with community participation.

Holiday differently for your next trip abroad. book to jet off on a gorilla holiday today!

Projects Do More

Gorillas At A Glance

Critically Endangered
100,00 In Total

How Endangered Are Gorillas

The 4 species of gorilla that exist today are all listed as critically endangered.

There are approximately just 880 Mountain gorillas alive today, which has improved over recent years, but this number is still far from sustainable. Sadly, there are just 200-300 Cross River gorillas making them the most endangered out of the 4.

Population numbers for both the Eastern and Western lowland gorillas are unknown. Civil unrest surrounding their habitat has made it far too dangerous to carry out a census of the species. However, scientists believe there has been a decline of roughly 50% in the population of Eastern and Western lowland gorillas since the mid-1990s. 

Threats Gorillas Are Facing

Gorillas face many threats on a daily basis, which are primarily the result of human interference. Some of these threats include: 

  • Disease – gorillas are highly susceptible to human diseases such as Ebola, Scabies, TB and more. These kinds of diseases are transmitted through contact with humans, or when gorillas raid villages and farms in search of food.
  • Frail Law Enforcement – the hunting and eating of gorillas have increased over the years as a result of the bushmeat trade. Despite gorilla hunting being illegal, hunters, poachers and consumers are rarely punished.
  • Habitat Loss – around 17% of gorilla populations live in protected areas, but the remaining 83% are made vulnerable by logging companies, human settlements and oil and gas companies.
Fast Facts
  • Individual gorillas can be identified by their nose prints. Each nose print is different per gorilla, much like human fingerprints.
  • A study conducted in 2011 revealed that gorillas use a form of ‘motherese’ language to communicate with infants. The study showed that gorillas older than 3 years of age communicated with infants differently to adults. While the gestures are non-vocal, it was discovered that older gorillas would repeat gestures more with babies than older members of the troop, such as stroking their jaws.
  • Female gorillas reproduce every four to six years, giving birth just three to four times throughout their entire life. This low reproduction rate makes it difficult for gorillas to come back from a decline in their numbers, such as when a disease hits a large portion of the gorilla population.
Where you can go
Contact Info
UK Office
The Great Traveller Ltd,
3 Dairy Yard
Star Street
Ware, Hertfordshire
SG12 7DX
United Kingdom

Opening hours:
   Mon-Fri 8:30am–5:30pm
   Sat 10am-4pm

T: +44(0) 208 885 4987