Big Cat Conservation
Big cats are often at the forefront of people’s minds whenever animal conservation is mentioned. These powerful felines have gripped imaginations across the world thanks to their prominence on various nature documentaries, and here at The Great Projects, we are delighted to be able to offer you the chance to take part in a big cat conservation project in a selection of stunning locations.
Big cat numbers are unfortunately on the decline, and unless action is taken soon some of the world’s most iconic animals such as lions, cheetahs and leopards could disappear. Big cat conservation efforts need to be increased to help protect the world's population of these felines and you can join the fight by becoming a big cat volunteer!
You can participate in a range of big cat conservation projects, where you can volunteer with cheetahs in Africa or experience the majesty of tigers in India. Your journey starts right here - check out what big cat projects we have to offer below.
Big Cats At A Glance
16 Species Considered Vulnerable/Endangered/Critically Endangered.
NUMBER REMAINING IN THE WILD
Dependent On Species
Asia, Africa, the Americas
How Endangered Are Big Cats
Due to there being many different species of big cat, their numbers in the wild vary. The most endangered of all of the big cat species is the Amur Leopard, and there are only around 60 of these cats remaining in the wild. Other big cats whose numbers are particularly low include the South China tiger, Asiatic cheetah, and the Scottish Wildcat.
Despite this, all big cats are facing many threats day after day, and this is why they need your help. Numbers are only going to continue to fall unless a change is made.One of the ways you can help is by working with big cats in Africa. This continent is home to a big percentage of the worlds big cats, and you can help to make a big difference to the preservation of African big cats if you choose to volunteer!
Threats Big Cats Are Facing
The threats to big cats vary from region to region, but there are two overwhelming threats they all share. They are:
- Habitat Destruction – whether it be from farmers taking land away from the lions and cheetahs in Africa for their livestock, or the forests of the tiger being chopped down in Asia, the natural ranges and habitats of many big cats are being taken away from them at a frightening rate.
- Hunting and Poaching – these animals are prized for their body parts which many believe have medicinal values. This is simply not true, and as a result of this trade, many animals are needlessly killed to supply this demand.
Facts About Big Cats
- The Greek and Roman word for giraffe was ‘camelopardalis’ because they believed it was an unnatural hybrid of a camel and a leopard.
- A “Panther” isn’t a real animal. It is actually a term used to describe black cougars, jaguars and leopards.
- Cheetahs can only run for 30 seconds before they overheat
- Species of big cat include: lions, tigers, cheetahs, leopards, snow leopards, clouded leopards and cougar.
- Within each species of big cat, several sub species exist. For example, there is an Asiatic cheetah, as well as a Northwest Africa cheetah!
12 Nights from £1,995.00
Visit the fabled Kanha National Park: home to a stunning array of wildlife, including leopards, wild dogs, and of course the famous Bengal tiger.
6 - 27 Nights from £725.00
Help make a difference to Zimbabwe's incredible wildlife and follow in the footsteps of explorer David Livingstone set against the backdrop of the beautiful Victoria Falls.
14 - 84 Nights from
Experience hands-on volunteering in Africa in the heart of the beautiful Namibian wilderness!
16 Nights from
Assist the in-country team by collecting data on the area's big cat populations in the stunning Namibian Desert.
14 - 84 Nights from £985.00
Volunteer with the 'Big Five' and the Born Free Foundation in one of South Africa's finest game reserves.
7 - 84 Nights from £490.00
Play a vital role in the education of underprivileged children in South Africa
16 Nights from
Assist the team with data collection to help with research on carnivore species in the stunning Kanaan Region of Namibia.
14 - 84 Nights from £828.00
Join this 'Big 5' conservation project and help make a difference to the lives of the amazing animals that live here!
7 - 84 Nights from £635.00
Volunteer with the 'Big 5' on this amazing conservation project!
3 Nights from £588.00
Take a 4 Day Adventure of Spectacular Wildlife, Walvis Bay and the incredible Sossusvlei Sand Dunes!
3 Nights from £588.00
This all-encompassing tour takes in some of Namibia's most treasured wildlife including lions, leopards, elephants, rhinos and more!
5 Nights from £983.00
Perfect for the intrepid traveller, this tour takes in some of the country's most iconic and palpable attractions including Etosha National Park, the Skeleton Coast and the stunning Sossusvlei sand dunes.